Corbin City Utilities

Tornado Safety

In a house with no basement, a dorm, or an apartment: Avoid windows. Go to the lowest floor, small center room (like a bathroom or closet), under a stairwell, or in an interior hallway with no windows. Crouch as low as possible to the floor, facing down; and cover your head with your hands. A bath tub may offer a shell of partial protection. Even in an interior room, you should cover yourself with some sort of thick padding (mattress, blankets, etc.), to protect against falling debris in case the roof and ceiling fail.

In a house with a basement: Avoid windows. Get in the basement and under some kind of sturdy protection (heavy table or work bench), or cover yourself with a mattress or sleeping bag. Know where very heavy objects rest on the floor above (pianos, refrigerators, waterbeds, etc.) and do not go under them. They may fall down through a weakened floor and crush you.

Last Updated (Tuesday, 28 May 2013 18:23)


Boil Water Advisories

Whenever the City Utilities Commission (CUC) has a loss of pressure in its water main(s), usually due to a main line break, the CUC must issue a Boil Water Advisory as a precautionary measure for public safety.  When there is a loss of pressure in a water main, there is a slight possibility of contaminants getting into the water main. CUC maintains a chlorine residual in its water mains to destroy biological contaminants, and the Boil Water Advisory is required by the Kentucky Division of Water to prevent possible health problems. During a Boil Water Advisory affected customers are advised to boil  water  for consumption at a rolling boil for at least three (3) minutes.

Boil water advisories are broadcast by the local radio stations until test results verify that there is no contamination. When there is a very small number of affected customers, notices will be left on the customers front door. CUC will also post Boil Water Advisories on this website (as of January 30, 2013).  Also, if a CUC customer experiences a loss of pressure they can contact CUC's office at (606)528-4026 to verify if their area has a boil water advisory in effect.

Last Updated (Thursday, 21 February 2013 21:02)


About Corbin Utilities Commission


The City Utilities Commission (CUC) exists solely for the purpose of supplying electric power, potable water and sanitary sewer services to its customers. The objective of the CUC is to provide electric power, potable water and sanitary sewer services to its customers with the best possible service at the lowest possible cost.

The History of CUC

CUC was created on May 17, 1948 as a result of the City of Corbin Ordinance Number 1798. Prior to this date, electric and water services were provided by the City of Corbin to the area.

Last Updated (Tuesday, 05 August 2014 17:01)

Read more...


News Flashes and Alerts

Severe Weather Tip
It is important to remember during severe weather, to avoid downed powerlines and contact your local utilities in the event you see any cable or wire laying on the ground. Never touch, or attempt to move any cable or wire laying on the ground because there is always the potential for electrical shock.